History

  • 2016

    2016

    Professor Leszek Berezowski is re-elected Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Letters at Wrocław University. Marek Kuźniak is re-elected head of the Institute.

  • 2015

    2015

    In the competition OPUS 8, National Science Centre awards a three-year grant worth PLN 793,972 for the project “Comparative analysis of psychological predicates in Polish, Spanish and English”. The project is supervised by Prof. Bożena Rozwadowska.

  • 2015

    2015

    Professor Anna Michońska-Stadnik and Professor Ewa Kębłowska-Ławniczak are awarded the title of professor of the humanities.

  • 2015

    2015

    During the jubilee ceremony of the 70th anniversary of English Studies at the University of Wrocław, Professor Jan Cygan received from the vice-rector Adam Jezierski the Gold Medal of the University of Wrocław.

  • 2015

    2015

    Empirical and Theoretical Linguistics (ETHEL), a new Master Programme in English, is launched under the supervision of Prof. Joanna Błaszczak.

  • 2015

    2015

    The Institute organises the conference of the Polish Association for the Study of English (PASE). Professor Ewa Kębłowska-Ławniczak is the chair of the Academic Committee, whereas Dr Marcin Walczyński is the chair of the Organising Committee.

  • 2014

    2014

    The Institute of English Studies – together with the Institutes of German Studies and of Romance Studies – is awarded a grant from the National Centre for Research and Development. The project, whose aim is to introduce the students to the labour market, is carried out in the years 2014-2015 and comprises internships, study visits and workshops.

  • 2014

    2014

    Professor Anna Michońska-Stadnik is awarded Gold Medal for Long Service by the President of Poland. Professor Anna Budziak and Dr Dominika Ferens are awarded Silver Medals.

  • 2013

    2013

    Professor Piotr Chruszczewski is appointed director of the College of Inter-Faculty Individual Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences by rector Marek Bojarski.

  • 2012

    2012

    Professor Piotr P. Chruszczewski is awarded the title of professor of the humanities.

  • 2012

    2012

    Professor Marek Kuźniak becomes the youngest head in the history of the Institute.

  • 2012

    2012

    Professor Leszek Berezowski is elected Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Letters.

  • 2011

    2011

    The launch of a unique laboratory of neurolinguistics, co-funded by the Foundation for Polish Science and supervised by Prof. Joanna Błaszczak.

  • 2011

    2011

    Dr Dominika Ferens and Dr Mariusz Marszalski successfully complete the habilitation procedure.

  • 2010

    2010

    A team led by Prof Joanna Błaszczak receives a grant from the Foundation for Polish Science (PLN 300,000). The members of the team are Prof. Błaszczak, Dr Patrycja Jabłońska, Dr Dorota Klimek-Jankowska and Dr Krzysztof Migdalski.

  • 2010

    2010

    The Institute organises the prestigious annual GLOW conference. Prof. Bożena Rozwadowska is the chair of the Organising Committee.

  • 2010

    2010

    Dr habil. Marek Oziewicz is awarded by the American Mythopoeic Society for the best critical work on fantasy literature.

  • 2008

    2008

    Dr Marek Oziewicz obtains his habilitation and becomes head of the newly created American Literature and Culture Section.

  • 2008

    2008

    The Institute organises the annual conference of the Polish Association for the Study of English (PASE).

  • 2007

    2007

    Professor Leszek Berezowski is re-elected head of the Institute.

  • 2002

    2002

    Dr Dominika Ferens is the first employee of the Institute to publish her book in the USA. University of Illinois Press releases her work entitled Edith and Winnifred Eaton: Chinatown Missions and Japanese Romances.

  • 2002

    2002

    Professor Leszek Berezowski becomes the next head of the Institute.

  • 1999

    1999

    Professor Bożena Rozwadowska is appointed Associate Dean of the Faculty of Letters. A year later, she is elected a board member of the European association of generative linguists GLOW (Generative Linguists of the Old World). She will serve two terms both as Deputy Dean and as board member.

  • 1998

    1998

    Prof. Jan Cygan, the legendary founder of the Institutes, retires.
    Professor Leszek Berezowski launches Postgraduate Translation Studies.

  • 1997

    1997

    For the first time a woman – Dr Anna Stadnik – is elected head of the Institute.

  • 1996

    1996

    Dr Tadeusz Piotrowski becomes the new director of the Institute, but the next year he moves to the University of Opole.

  • 1994

    1994

    Extramural MA studies are inaugurated. Two years later, extramural BA studies will be launched.

  • 1992

    1992

    The Institute moves to its current location at 22 Kuźnicza Street. Professor Prof. Jan Cygan returns to the post of head of the Institute.

  • 1990-1991

    1990-1991

    With the collapse of the People's Republic of Poland, a number of language teacher training colleges are established. The colleges in Legnica, Jelenia Góra, Wałbrzych, Wrocław and (a year later) Częstochowa are supervised by the Institute of English Studies. In ten years, some of these institutions will become independent and, transform into State Higher Vocational Schools.

  • 10/01/1988

    10/01/1988

    English Postgraduate Studies for teachers are inaugurated.

  • 1987

    1987

    Dr Michał Post becomes head of the Institute.

  • 1981-1982

    1981-1982

    As the first employee of the Institute, Dr Henryk Kałuża publishes a book abroad. Julius Groos Verlag publishing house from Heidelberg releases Dr Kałuża’s work entitled The Use of Articles in Contemporary English.

  • 1975

    1975

    On the tenth anniversary of its reactivation, the Department is given a new organizational structure. The Department of English Studies becomes the Institute of English Studies, which exists to this day.

  • 1971-1972

    1971-1972

    The first issue of the scientific journal Anglica Wratislaviensia is published. Students found an academic circle, which under various names and with numerous interruptions will function for the next several years.

  • 1970-1971

    1970-1971

    Jan Cygan and Henryk Kałuża obtain habilitation, becoming the senior academic staff members in the history of the Department of English Studies at the University of Wrocław. Dr Cygan has submitted a habilitation dissertation entitled Aspects of English Syllable Structure and Henryk Kałuża – a dissertation Tense Forms of the Indicative Mood in Contemporary English.

  • 1970

    1970

    The Ministry of Higher Education agrees to resume the enrolment of candidates for English Studies in the academic year 1970/1971.

  • 1966-1967

    1966-1967

    A one-person department slowly begins to gain posts for additional employees. In the first place, the newly promoted doctors Maria Gottwald and Henryk Kałuża are employed.

  • 1965

    1965

    In February, the Council of the Faculty of Letters resolves to restore the Department of English Studies. Jan Cygan is entrusted with the organization of the department. The chief education officer, i.e., the formal head of the department, is Professor Jan Łanowski.

  • 1953

    1953

    The Department of English Studies at Wrocław University ceases to exist.

  • 1950/1951

    1950/1951

    After the death of Dr Krzyżanowski the communist government does not appoint a successor. The last remaining English Studies students are supervised by Dr Wiktor Jassem, Dr Grzegorz Sinko, and Professor Stanisław Helsztyński, who commuts from Warsaw.

  • 1950

    1950

    Under the pretence of implementing another reform of higher education, the state authorities divided the Faculty of Humanities into the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Philosophy and History, and cancelled the intake of candidates for several fields of study, including English Studies.

  • 1950

    1950

    The first doctoral dissertation defence, by Wiktor Jassem and Grzegorz Sinko. The supervisor of both dissertations is Dr Juliusz Krzyżanowski.

  • 1945

    1945

    University enrolment begins and, as a result, English Studies turns out to be the second most popular field of studies at the Faculty of Humanities.

  • 1945

    1945

    Following the Decree of the Government of National Unity, University of Wrocław and Wrocław University of Technology become Polish state academic schools. One of the faculties created under the decree is the Faculty of Humanities, including the Department of English Studies, headed by Dr Juliusz Krzyżanowski.