Why study with us
There is one thing that connects a translator of bestselling crime fiction, a media studies professor from the University of London, a radio journalist of the BBC News, a market analyst from Barclays and a freelancer working for the headquarters of Apple in California. It’s the diploma of the Institute of English Studies at the University of Wrocław. How is it possible that our graduates succeed in so many career paths?
1. We are versatile. We don’t only teach English. Besides practical language courses (speaking, phonetics, vocabulary, grammar and academic writing), we offer courses in teaching, translation, linguistics, literature and culture.
2. We are practical. We organise workshops with employers and career fairs in order to introduce our students to the labour market. As a result, as many as 90% of our graduates find a job within a year from graduation.
3. We are international. We cooperate with over twenty universities in Europe and the US. We organise international conferences, summer schools and guest lectures of distinguished professors. Thanks to our Erasmus Plus and ISEP links, our students participate in exchange programmes in such countries as the US, the UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, Norway and many others. We have regular staff from abroad, as well as American guest professors from the Fulbright Foundation.
4. We are competent. Among our staff are renowned researchers, experts in their fields, authors of articles and books released by the most prestigious academic publishing houses (Oxford, Blackwell, Continuum). We currently employ five full professors and nine associate professors, all of whom are members of eminent research centres and academic organisations (European Society for the Study of English, Generative Linguistics in the Old World and English Association).
5. We are innovative. University of Wrocław is one of the oldest universities in Central Europe. But our noble origins do not prevent us from striving to make our Institute as modern as we can. We make sure that our students have access to new technologies and publications. One of our claims to fame is the launch of a fully equipped psycholinguistics lab, which is used by Prof. Joanna Błaszczak’s Centre for Experimental Research on Natural Language.
In the era of globalisation and international dominance of English, our course is an informed choice. Come and join us!